I rarely go to the town I lived in for 20 years. We moved out into the hinterlands a little while ago. When I do go to town it’s mostly to a diner to eat with a friend or to pickup a hydraulic hose or something like that.
I don’t go where the people are and I damned sure try not to go at night.
After months and months of staying away, I had to go to town after dark last week. I noticed that:
1. It’s very rushed. Everyone is driving too fast. They are tailgating, aggressive, angry. Eating was that way. Finding parking was rushed. All of it.
2. It’s crowded. Parking is scarce. Chairs in restaurants are back to back, bumping each other when getting up to leave, go to the restroom, etc.
3. The people are ugly as fuck. The misshapen, degenerate, slovenly, exceedingly casual people were disgusting. While at a semi-trendy restaurant we were surrounded by people in their 20’s. Not one had what was once a normal visage or shape. Septum piercings, weird hair colors, ear tunnel trash, tattoos, and other defilements were on every single person at the restaurant who was under 30…..except for my daughter and her friend.
4. It’s SO LOUD. The restaurant was loud. The street was loud. Everything. Horrific. Shouting to have a conversation over dinner is not “ambiance.”
5. The infrastructure is shot. The streets are worn out. The sidewalks are uneven. Everything is shabby and worn. The government has failed and continues to.
All-in-all the experience was an indignity. The place and it’s inhabitants does not respect the dignity of people. I only notice this because I don’t live there anymore. I’m not subjected to the constant low/medium stresses and indignities of life in town. When I’m subjected to those things I notice now. It’s disgusting.
It was once a great place. People called it the Oil Capital, and the Magic Empire. I used to love it.
I’ll not be going back unless I absolutely have to.